Wednesday, December 17, 2014

First Contact from Brazil

Hi, I made it :)  So the flights weren't bad. On the second flight it was a 767, so when I was in seat 23D, that actually meant that I was in the middle, because it was 2 seats, aisle, 3 seats, aisle, 2 seats. So that was fun. And it wouldn't have been so bad if I was allowed to watch movies; there were a ton of free and recent movies to watch. But oh well. I kinda just sat there and nodded off occasionally. So I'm pretty tired today. 

Also, as a side note, they're trying to set up a system through Provo for us to call you guys :D  So that would happen on Christmas Day, from 1:30-2:00 my time. So 10:30-11:00 for you guys. They said they hope it works. 

My companion is Elder Greener, from Australia. So he had an 11-hour flight to Dubai, and then a 15-hour flight to here. So I feel less sorry for myself. And sorry this is such a wall of text, there's literally a red countdown staring me in the face as I write this.  Today, we got half an hour to e-mail, I think normally it's an hour.

Um...not sure what else there is to say. I'm dreading getting repacked. There's two other missionaries in our dorm room, but they only gave us three bags of bedding at first. So I think I might have to ask about that, or just use my own. Not sure. 

I felt a ton better after I started walking on the jetway to get on the plane to Atlanta. And it's really cool here in Brazil, there's a lot of motorcycles splitting lanes at high speeds and tapping on the sides of vehicles they pass by, or just constantly honking. I bet Dad misses it. The airport was pretty straightforward, there were eight other elders and one sister on my flight, so we all went together through customs and the immigration stuff, which was pretty fast since there weren't hardly any other non-Brazilians, and they segregated us off. 

13 minutes left :/  Can you believe we get to talk on Christmas (fingers crossed)? And then after we went through customs, people exchanged money at a booth, and I think that the commission they took was pretty big since they wouldn't exchange 15 USD, because they wouldn't be able to give the elder back anything. But people were exchanging 200 USD, or around there, so I don't really know if I have enough. I hung on to that $20, since I figured I'd only get 10 reales or something. If that's how you spell it. 

With our group of elders, there's a few that got delayed on their visas, so I think one guy's been out already for 10 months or something? And stuff like that. Which is a little intimidating because one of the elders can already hold a conversation, and he's supposed to be new -.-  But whatever. 

As far as unpacking, I'm kinda just leaving my shirts in those eBags? Because there's no hangers, so the two that you packed were a good idea. At least I can hang my suits and suit pants up. Although I can't really find my second navy suit pants, I figure they're in the bundle, which I haven't undone. I just stuck it in a drawer. 

8 minutes. Also, these computers are pretty ancient. They're XP, and it seems like we're pretty locked down as to where we can go as far as websites. So I don't know if OneDrive is going to be an option, I guess it will be when I get out of the CTM. But maybe just e-mailing pictures for now. I haven't taken any yet, so you have to wait on that. 

But the center seems really nice, lots of tile everywhere and it's clean. Anyways, I think that's it for me for now, 5 minutes left and counting. I wonder if you'll cut this up into recognizable paragraphs to put on the blog, or just splurge it on there? I'll probably be able to organize it better when I have more time, sorry. 

So...I'll let you know how I'm doing soon. But don't worry about me, I'm doing just fine. It seems like they'll take pretty good care of us here. And yes, both the planes had delays. So that was fun.

1 comment:

  1. So fun to hear his first impressions (and to hear how much of Dayne he has in him)!